Scandinavian Heritage (Summer 2020)
Scandinavian Heritage – Summer 2020
From the Midnight Sun to the Little Mermaid and from crossing the Arctic Circle to crossing the northern seas, Scandinavia is truly an astonishing part of the world.
- Alta: Savour a delicious oven-baked dinner of local seasonal specialities of fresh salmon or the local’s favourite, reindeer, served with fresh salads and wine.
- Bergen: Enjoy an evening of dinner and wine at a local restaurant. Zupperia Matbørsen offers traditional Norwegian and European meal with an Asian twist.
- Aarhus: Savour a delightful meal prepared with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients.
- Copenhagen: At your Celebration Dinner, Scandinavian hospitality is matched with fine food and wine.
- Dining Summary: 27 Breakfasts (B), 8 Dinners (D) and 6 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Alta: Meet Trine Lyrek at her working husky farm. Gain an insight to the challenges Trine and her Alaskan Huskies face when competing in marathon Arctic dog sled races. There’s also time to have a play with these gorgeous pups.
Top Rated Highlights
- Copenhagen: Explore with your Local Expert. See Hans Christian Andersen’s Little Mermaid on the harbour, the Renaissance Stock Exchange, Rosenborg Castle and Amalienborg Palace.
- Copenhagen: With a Local Expert, witness the regal interior of Christiansborg Palace, with its stunning tapestries, furnishings and decor.
- Øresund Bridge: Cross this magnificent fiat of engineering. It’s the longest road and rail bridge in Europe, spanning 8 kilometres.
- Stockholm: Wander through Gamla Stan, the Old Town, with your Local Expert to see the cathedral and the Royal Palace.
- Stockholm: With a Local Expert, step inside the City Hall where the fabulous Gyllene salen, the Golden Hall is covered by 18 million gilded mosaic tiles. You’ll also see the Blå hallen, the Blue Hall, where the Nobel Prize banquets are held.
- Cruise: Admire the beautiful views from your high-class, sea-view cabin as your cruise through the largest archipelago in the world, from Stockholm to Helsinki.
- Helsinki: Your Local Expert will show you the sights of the harbour city. Wander through the aromatic stalls of a traditional food market and sample local produce like liquorice or smoked reindeer before enjoying free time to explore the harbour of this fascinating city of design.
- Kuopio: Admire the spectacular panoramic views from atop Puijo Tower.
- Oulu: Visit Northern Finland’s oldest city. It is also one of the most important harbour cities in all of Northern Europe.
- Rovaniemi: See Alvar Aalto’s Town Hall and visit the cathedral. You’ll even receive an Arctic Circle Crossing certificate.
- Rovaniemi: Meet Santa Clause when you visit his village where it is Christmas all year round! From his post office, you can make sure that Santa sends Christmas letters to friends and family back home come December.
- Sodankylä: Visit one of Lapland’s oldest churches.
- Ivalo: Enjoy an orientation as you arrive into the village.
- Karasjok: See the Sami Parliament and continue on to visit the museum devoted to Sami history and culture, offering a glimpse into the old Sami lifestyle.
- North Cape: Journey to mainland Europe’s most northern point to see something that doesn’t happen – sunset! Even at midnight, the sun clings to the horizon. This once-in-a-lifetime unique experience is accompanied by champagne and caviar to make it even more special. Stand near the fence of the towering cliffs, dramatically rising out of the sea and you will feel as if you are on the edge of the world, and you literally are.
- Narvik: Learn more about the scenic town of Narvik and its history as you gaze upon the majestic mountains that surround the town.
- Mosjøen: See the street of historic, 19th century wooden buildings and Norway’s oldest octagonal church.
- Hell: Tell all your friends you travelled through!
- Trondheim: During you orientation with your Travel Director, see the Market Square and its statue of Olav Tryggvason, the Nidaros Cathedral, the Tyholt Tower and Old Town Bridge.
- Geiranger: Enjoy an orientation of Geiranger to learn more about this small village and the surrounding Fjords.
- Geiranger: Cruise along the deep, blue waters of majestic Geirangerfjord, surrounded by snow-covered mountains, gushing waterfalls and lush green vegetation.
- Lillehammer: Explore the town where the 1994 Winter Olympics were held.
- Oslo: Guided by your Local Expert, see the impressive Akershus Castle and the Royal Palace.
- Oslo: Stand beneath the scrolled prows and hand cut hulls of 9th century ships that carried Viking nobles to the afterlife and learn about their traditions and culture when you visit the Viking Ship Museum.
- Oslo: Take a moment to contemplate the interesting Vigeland sculptures when you visit Frogner Park.
- Hardanger Plateau: Pass through the National Park known for its beautiful arctic tundra.
- Bergen: Explore this Wooden City led by your Travel Director and hear about the seafaring traditions of this beautiful harbour side town.
- Bergen: Marvel at the 13th century Haakon’s Hall and explore the many market stalls with your Local Expert.
- Norway’s West Coast: Fjord hop from Bergen to Stavanger.
- Lysefjord: Embrace spectacular scenery as you cruise through Lysefjord to the magnificent Pulpit Rock. See Vagabond’s Cave, old mountain farms, idyllic islands and majestic scenery.
- Kristiansand: During your orientation with your Travel Director, walk the city centre and see the Dom Kirke and Nupen Fountain.
- Skagerrak: Sail across the Skagerrak as you cross from Kristiansand to Hirsthals.
- Aarhus: Your Local Expert guides you through the open-air museum of D…
Welcome to Oslo.
Oslo city to coastal Bergen.
Ancient Hanseatic port of Bergen.
A Coastline like no Other.
The Wonders of Lysefjord.
Onwards to Kristiansand.
Kristiansand to Aarhus.
Odense and the Fairytales of Fyn.
Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen.
On to Stockholm, City of Islands.
Stockholm and Baltic Sea Cruise.
Lakes and Forests to Kuopio.
The Road to Rovaniemi.
Rovaniemi and Lapland.
Across the Arctic Circle to Ivalo.
The North Cape.
Through Finnmark to Alta.
A World of Adventure in Alta.
Across Tysfjord to Mosjøen.
Laksfoss Falls to Trondheim.
Geiranger, Jewel of the Fjords.
Geiranger at Leisure.
Oslo, the Capital.
Out of Oslo.